The following are the functions of the Department of Land Resources:
1. Guide and facilitate States to modernize land record management & build up a land information system.
2. Facilitate States efforts to usher in conclusive titling system.
3. Administration of Land Acquisition Act, 1894 (1 of 1894) and matters relating to acquisition of land for purposes of the Union.
4. To facilitate adoption of policy for Rehabilitation & Resettlement of displaced people.
5. Land reforms, land tenure, land records, consolidation of holdings and other related matters.
6. Implementation of watershed programme for development of rainfed/degraded areas.
7. Promotion of rural livelihoods through watershed programme.
8. Evaluation of the existing bio-fuel cultivation in the country and launching of demonstration phase of Bio-fuel Mission based on the evaluation result.